It’s a rainy day here in Grimshaw, which means I’ve been inspired to cook and bake. So on the menu tonight is pea soup with homemade Rosemary bread and strawberry blueberry cobbler for dessert. Check out this cobbler recipe, it’s now my go-to quick desert. It comes together in minutes and after 45 minutes in the oven it’s complete. Easy peasy.
Since we won’t be going outside this afternoon once Elijah wakes from his nap, I may have to find creative ways to keep him occupied. Since I’ve been on mat leave Elijah has had a lot of screen time so now that I feel we have a good routine going, I’m needing to think up a few more ways to keep Elijah entertained when he’s bored.
Last night it was bubbles in the kitchen sink. I filled one half with water and bubbles and stuck a towel in the other side. I stripped Elijah down and put him on the side with the towel and set him loose. The bubbles kept him busy for a good 25 minutes, and while I had to do a load of towels when we were done, Elijah had fun, he forgot he didn’t have a soother for 25 minutes and didn’t ask to watch a show or “Wa Wow (Paw Patrol).”
When Elijah went down for his nap today I started on tonight’s supper, which reminded me I wanted to share this recipe for sun dried tomato pasta. I made this while my mom was visiting from Ontario and it was hit with everyone, except Elijah – even though it was made special for him. I’d been searching for a pasta recipe that can be made dairy free when I stumbled across this one by Amy in the Kitchen. I made a few changes to the recipe when I made it, which I have shared below. If you eat a dairy-free diet I highly recommend this – I recommend it even if you aren’t eating dairy free, it’s that good.
A note about the coconut milk: I bought a can of coconut milk with 17 % fat content. I placed it in the fridge over night and scooped the thick creamy fat off the top of the can. That is what I used for this recipe.
Dairy Free Sun-Dried Tomato Pasta
- 1 lb. pasta, cooked
- 1 7oz. jar of sun-dried tomatoes, drained and roughly chopped
- 1 T minced garlic
- 3 cups chicken broth, reserve 1/4 cup
- 1/2 cup full fat coconut milk
- 1 T garlic powder
- 4 T nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp cracked red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp seasoning salt
- 2 T basil
- 2 T flour
- 2 Cups cooked cubed chicken
- Cook pasta. Set aside.
- Drain sun dried tomatoes, and roughly chop into bite-sized pieces.
- In a large saucepan, sauté tomatoes with garlic for approximately 5 minutes.
- Set aside 1/4 cup of the chicken broth, adding the remaining broth and coconut milk to the pan.
- Stir flour and reserved chicken broth together until there are no more lumps, add to saucepan. This will help thicken the sauce.
- Add the garlic powder, nutritional yeast, onion powder, red pepper flakes, seasoning salt and basil to the sauce. Simmer for five minutes.
- Add cooked pasta and chicken until heated through.
- Serve and enjoy!