Roughly two years ago Cody had an idea to transform a room in our basement into a music room. Cody is a drummer, he also owns a guitar and bass guitar and we used to quite frequently have friends over who were all very musical. As you can imagine when musical people get together they play music.
Cody also has a collection of flags from places he has visited or places friends have visited. Knowing about his collection, he has received a couple of flags as gifts.
In order to combine his hobby and interest he suggested we turn his flags into DIY sound panels.
Two years later we got them done. If you’ve read my post about the DIY growth chart we did you will know that getting DIY projects done in a timely manner is not a thing we do around here. Most projects take months, this one took years. Not because of difficulty but because of priorities and available time.
Cody then built the frames, supporting the corners. He then attached string in a web-like pattern to the frames. The purpose of doing this was to prevent any of the fabric from sagging. Some of the panels hang on the walls, but Cody also hung panels on the ceiling. So preventing the fabric from stretching and sagging was very important.
The next step was to staple fabric to the back of each panel. We purchased the thick cotton fabric from the sale section of our local fabric place. It doesn’t need to be pretty, it just needs to absorb sound.
Cody also sprayed the string with a spray adhesive to help the fabric stick to the string in a further attempt to prevent sagging. The fabric is also stretched and stapled tightly to the frame.
Another application of string and spray adhesive and now the frames were ready for the flags. After making sure the flags were properly aligned on the panels Cody then began stapling the flags to the frames, again being sure to secure the frames tightly. No sagging fabric is happening around here!
After they were complete he hung them on the walls and ceiling using four metal brackets, ensuring a space between the panel and the wall, another means of trapping sound.
And he’s done! Despite it taking nearly two years to get this project done, the actual frames were not difficult to construct. A bit time consuming but it only required a couple hours on a couple weekends (Cody’s edit: Many, many hours, on many, many weekends…)